One of the many reasons that members join the ACBA is to have access to high-quality, low-cost MCLE trainings. On April 24, 2013, we asked members to take a quick survey about our MCLE offerings. Here is what we learned based on members’ responses:
- Less than four percent of respondents said the only reason they attend MCLEs is because they are required to.
- Less than twenty percent of respondents place a high value on MCLEs as a place to network.
- The day respondents were most likely to attend MCLEs is Thursday, followed by Wednesday and Tuesday.
- 11:00 am – 2: 00 pm is the preferred time slot for MCLEs.
- An overwhelming eighty-three percent of respondents indicated that they did not need the ACBA to provide a meal for them and that they would be happy to bring their own.
- Sixty-one percent of respondents pay for their own MCLEs. Nearly ten percent responded that their employer pays for some, but not all of their MCLE courses, with just over thirty percent of employers paying for all MCLEs.
- Topic, cost, and location are the top three factors that influence members’ decisions to attend MCLEs.
- Eighty-seven percent of respondents prefer MCLEs that are one to two hours in length.
- More than ninety-two percent of respondents prefer to be notified of of upcoming MCLEs by email.
Members are interested in seeing the following MCLE topics offered:
- ADR courses
- Analyzing Damages in Personal Injury Cases
- Any 2nd Amendment Issues
- Availability of Attorney Fees in Litigation
- Business Formation Basics
- Crime Scene Processing
- Criminal Law courses
- Evidence & Trial Practicum courses
- Family Law courses with other areas (immigration, bankruptcy, retirement plans)
- Jury Selection
- Law Office Management
- Mediation Skills
- Post-Trial Motions
- Probate Mediation
- Psychological Issues & Child Custody Evaluation
- Setting up a Solo Practice
Section Executive Committees and staff will use the valuable information from the survey results when planning and scheduling upcoming MCLE programs.
Didn’t get a chance to fill out the survey but have a comment? Feel free to leave a comment here on the blog or contact Karyn Freer, Membership and Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 302-2200.
Thank you to everyone who participated! Congratulations to Michael Bailey, Elizabeth Riles, and Spencer Strellis who won a free hour of MCLE credit for their participation.